Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i (May 21, 2021) – With many Americans ready for a return to normalcy, Kaua‘i hotels, resorts and golf courses are reporting a pent-up demand for summertime travel to the Garden Isle. Pre-bookings for rounds of golf in June and July are approaching pre-pandemic levels, while hoteliers are pleased with the increased booking pace of summer hotel and resort reservations. Kaua‘i tourism officials are requesting that all travelers to be prepared for their visit by becoming familiar with and participating in the state’s mandatory Safe Travels pre-travel testing program, and ensure you have a rental car reserved far in advance of arrival.
With Hawaii’s Safe Travels pre-travel testing program, travelers from the U.S. mainland, even those who are fully vaccinated, must have their negative test results prior to departing as an alternative to Hawaii’s mandatory 10-day quarantine. A 10-day mandatory quarantine will be required for transpacific travelers arriving WITHOUT a negative result from an accepted COVID-19 Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) test taken within the 72 hours before departure of the final leg of their trip to Hawaii. Travelers will not be able to obtain an accepted COVID-19 test upon arrival at any Hawaii airport. To qualify, transpacific travelers must do the following:
- Create a Safe Travels account as soon as you get your airline reservations and complete the mandatory State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form 24 hours before departure at: https://travel.hawaii.gov/
- Take a pre-travel test from one of the State of Hawaii’s U.S. Domestic, International, or Airline Trusted Testing and Travel Partners within the 72 hours before departure of the final leg of their trip to Hawaii. A list of transpacific Trusted Travel Partners can be found at https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
- For transpacific travel, the state of Hawaii will ONLY accept a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) PCR test from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from the specific U.S. Domestic, International, or Airline labs on that list. If a traveler arrives with a test from any non-qualifying lab on the list, or a test that is not a NAAT PCR test, you will have to quarantine for 10-days (or the length of your stay whichever is shorter), or participate in the Resort Bubble program, or leave the state.
- Travelers arriving from out of state MUST have their negative test results BEFORE flying to Hawaii. If you don’t have your test results in hand before boarding, you best postpone your trip. If you receive your results after traveling to Hawaii, you will still have to quarantine for 10-days (or the length of your stay whichever is shorter), participate in the Resort Bubble program, or leave the state.
- The negative test result MUST be uploaded onto Safe Travels prior to departure or printed out prior to departure with hard copy in hand when arriving in Hawaii.
”We are welcoming back our visitors and asking them to be mindful of the current COVID rules so we can keep Kaua‘i safe and enjoyed by all. Golf continues to be one of the best outdoor experiences with incredible views,” said Sue Kanoho, Executive Director of the Kaua‘i Visitors Bureau.
Nicknamed the Garden Isle for its lush tropical foliage, waterfalls and ever-present Pacific Ocean scenery, Kaua‘i boasts numerous daily-fee and resort golf courses. The destination is perennially recognized for its beaches, award-winning golf courses, ideal playing weather and stunning natural beauty. For more information on Kaua‘i golf, visit www.gogolfkauai.com.
About The Go Golf Kaua‘i Courses
- The Ocean Course at Hokuala – The Ocean Course at Hokuala is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course that boasts the longest stretch of oceanfront holes in all of Hawaii. The picture-perfect course winds its way through papaya and guava groves to dramatic seaside cliffs. A 2016 renovation added sparkling white sand to all the bunkers, framing holes to be even more spectacular than before. Rated Hawaii’s Best Golf Course, 2018 and 2019 World Golf Awards, golfers can also surf the earth on Hokuala’s Golf Boards during their round.
- Poipu Bay Golf Course – Poipu Bay Golf Course was designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr and is set between lush mountains and rugged ocean bluffs. The course incorporates more than 30 acres of colorfully landscaped tropical plants and flowers, making it one of Hawaii’s most beautiful courses. Poipu Bay hosted the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 to 2006.
- Princeville Makai Golf Club – Princeville Makai Golf Club opened in 1971 as the first solo effort of Robert Trent Jones, Jr. The course was completely renovated in 2009, introducing spectacular new Seashore Paspalum turf grass on all fairways and greens. Princeville Makai features surreal vistas of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay, including the signature par-3, 7th hole that offers a 213-yard shot over scenic cliffs.
- Puakea Golf Course – Designed by architect Robin Nelson, Puakea is a spectacular layout built along massive ravines and lush tropical undulating terrain, with the backdrop being used for the Jurassic Park series. Named one of the top courses in Hawaii by Sports Illustrated, Golf Advisor and Golfweek, the dramatic 18-hole golf course is also known for its high-quality, "Kauai-style" customer service. Puakea was rated “Best of Kauai” by Garden Island Newspaper from 2013 – 2019.
- Wailua Golf Course – Wailua Golf Course offers classic, golden-era seaside golf holes just a few steps from the Pacific Ocean. First built as a 9-hole course in the 1930’s, and expanded to 18 holes in 1961, Wailua has hosted three USGA Amateur and three US Public Links Championships. This wonderful municipal layout was designed by Toyo Shirai and features stunning mountain views along the Coconut Coast.