GolfPass series follows “The Big Easy’s” journey to world No. 1 and reveals how autism has impacted his family and shaped his life’s mission
ORLANDO, FL (April 21, 2022) – Taking a deeper look into the life and career of global golf superstar Ernie Els, GolfPass is showcasing a new collection from My Roots, the original series that captures the journeys of leaders from across the golf landscape.
Inside six chapters available for streaming today, Els will share his story – openly and honestly – from his upbringing in South Africa through a celebrated professional golf career that included 72 professional wins, a World No. 1 ranking, four major championship titles and induction into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
Known as “The Big Easy” due to his imposing physical stature and fluid golf swing, Els is one of the most prolific winners of his generation and one of the more popular personalities on the world golfing stage. He also has enjoyed success off the golf course through various business endeavors, including course design, golf academies, hospitality, wine making and philanthropy. After his son was diagnosed with autism in 2008, Els co-founded The Els for Autism Foundation with his wife, Liezl.
My Roots: Ernie Els chapter descriptions:
- The Early Years – Life in South Africa and a rise through the junior golf ranks before an injury derails the start of his professional career.
- A Major Leap – After bouncing back from a hand injury, Els finds success relatively quickly as a pro, winning two U.S. Opens and becoming World No. 1 by the age of 27.
- Big Easy vs. Big Cat – From major championship battles to the Presidents Cup, remembering Els’ rivalry with Tiger Woods.
- Ups and Downs – Els recalls his highest highs and lowest lows on the course, from winning the U.S. Open to dealing with the yips and battling his way back to Open glory in 2012.
- Els for Autism – Els and wife, Liezl, detail their family life and their son’s Autism diagnosis, which led to the creation of The Els for Autism Foundation and the opening of The Els Center of Excellence.
- Life and Legacy – Els talks about life on tour after age 50, his Hall of Fame induction and inspiring the next generation of South African golfers.
GOLFPASS HELPS GOLFERS PLAY MORE AND BETTER GOLF: My Roots is included in a vast library of original video content available exclusively as part of a GolfPass membership, which features titles like On Tour/On Course, The Conor Moore Show, My Daily Routine, and more. GolfPass also offers a vast instructional library featuring more than 4,500 video titles, including The Golf Fix, with host Devan Bonebrake; Lessons with a Champion Golfer; and Build a Better Game – all hosted by top instructors like Martin Hall, Chris Como and Michael Bannon, as well as golf fitness expert Don Saladino. Developed in partnership between global golf superstar Rory McIlroy and NBC Sports Next – the innovation and technology division of NBC Sports – GolfPass is designed for today’s golfer and is the only digital golf membership that delivers exclusive content and comprehensive tee-time benefits designed to help every type of golfer – from beginner to expert – play more and better golf. A GolfPass membership is available in North America at GolfPass.com, in the U.K. and Republic of Ireland at GolfPass.co.uk, and in Australia at www.GolfPass.com.au. The GolfPass membership also is available via connected TV, iOS and Android apps.
About NBC Sports Next
NBC Sports Next is a subdivision of NBC Sports and home to all NBCUniversal digital applications in sports and technology within its three groups: Youth & Recreational Sports, Golf, and Betting & Gaming. NBC Sports Next, known for its sports technology product innovation, equips more than 30 million players, coaches, athletes, sports administrators and fans in 40 countries with more than 25 sports solution products, including SportsEngine, a youth sports club, league and team management platform; TeamUnify, swim team management services; GoMotion, sports and fitness business software solutions; GolfNow, the leading online tee time marketplace and provider of golf course operations technology and services; GolfPass the ultimate golf membership that connects golfers to exclusive content, tee time credits, coaching, tips and other benefits; and NBC Sports EDGE (formerly Rotoworld), a leading platform for fantasy sports information and betting-focused tools. NBC Sports Next is fueled by its mission to innovate, create larger-than-life events and connect with sports fans through technology to provide the ultimate in immersive experiences.
-NBC Sports Next-
NBC Sports Next