Remarkable Stories of New Jersey Golf
Wellington, Fla. (February 22, 2023) - The new book, Remarkable Stories of New Jersey Golf, is creating a buzz. Published by renown Legendary Publishing & Media Group, Remarkable Stories is now available for online purchase at njgolfstories.com. Retail price is $85.
Remarkable Stories of New Jersey Golf, written by Kevin Casey, is a 244-page, 11” x 14”, hardcover with dustjacket, coffeetable book. It tells the colorful, 130-year history of golf in the Garden State through fascinating stories complemented by 300 gorgeous and occasionally rare photos and dozens of tables.
Arranged chronologically from the early 1890s through today, the book’s modular approach allows readers to enjoy this engaging collection in short takes or to attack it all in a few sittings.
Remarkable Stories reviews the influence New Jersey has had on American golf, covering many of the firsts, bests, and “onlys” that make up Garden State golf, such as the:
- Early days of Pine Valley Golf Club (perennially, the world’s best golf course)
- First PGA Tour-type event in America (in Lakewood, on January 1 & 2, 1898)
- First club in the United States created by and for Blacks (Shady Rest Golf and Country Club)
- Designs of Tillinghast, Raynor, Jones, and Fazio, plus the Second Golden Age of New Jersey golf architecture
- Brilliant career of Maureen Orcutt (the “Player of the Century”)
- Site of two of Jack Nicklaus’ four U.S. Opens (Baltusrol Golf Club)
- Plainfield politician who invented our handicap system (Leighton Calkins)
- Annual, four-club interclub match that dates back to 1898 (The Quadrangular Team Matches)
- Benefit to New Jersey of hosting the USGA (ask our green superintendents!)
- New Jersey amateur golfer who won four U.S. Amateurs, then a U.S. Open, then never won again (Jerry Travers)
- Major champions who won the New Jersey Open (Jim Barnes, Johnny Farrell, Vic Ghezzi, Byron Nelson, Paul Runyan, Craig Wood – all in the space of 10 years!)
Early positive reviews include long-time Metropolitan Golf Association executive director Jay Mottola:
“From major championships and Hall of Fame players to volunteer leaders and behind-the-scenes historical vignettes, Kevin captures the essence of how golf in New Jersey has earned ‘a special place’ in the chronicles of American golf.”
And, Bill Frese, former president, New Jersey State Golf Association, said, “Remarkable Stories of New Jersey Golf pulls together into one gorgeous volume the most compelling people, iconic courses, and fascinating events in our state’s rich golf history. Makes me proud to be a New Jersey golfer!”
Author Casey is available for book signings and tailored presentations on the history of golf in New Jersey. Contact the publisher at 561/309-0229 for bulk purchase for club tournament or corporate outings.
About the Author
Kevin Casey is a lifelong golfer and history buff, but a relatively new resident of New Jersey—which gave him a boost up when writing about the state’s golf history. “When I came to New Jersey,” he says, “I thought I knew my golf. But I quickly realized that when it came to Jersey golf, I didn’t. And when I asked questions of people or on the internet, too often no one had an answer. It seemed to me that certain history of golf in the state was in danger of being lost forever.” Casey adds, “Researching and writing Remarkable Stories has been an eye-opening, gratifying experience, one that I hope shines through to the reader.”
About the Publisher
Legendary Publishing & Media Group is a custom book publishing company for many of the premier private clubs in the world. A partial list of centenary and history books published include: The Story of Golf at The Country Club of Brookline, The Everglades Club, The LINKS Club, Newport Country Club, Saucon Valley Country Club, Scioto Country Club, Oakland Hills Country Club, Trinity Club (Seoul, South Korea) and The Yale Club of New York City. LPMG annually publishes and markets the Nicklaus Golf Calendar. Remarkable Stories of New Jersey Golf is the publisher’s first consumer book.